Sunday 21 April 2013

Week 88 - Fuse box/Lower panel cover and 2nd Aileron shroud

Hours to date: 895.25

This week I got the shelf into the fuse box/lower panel shroud.

I waited until the fuse box was delivered as I wasn't exactly sure what height I wanted the shelf at - better to wait than work blind.

As you will see below the fuse box also acts as a main bus and a remote ground (for non noise-susceptible items).

This will mean a lot less little wires in the loom going up to the main grounding point on the firewall.

I also fitted some nut plates to the shroud, these will be how the lower panel is attached to it.

The shroud is then bolted to the cell floor with a rubber mount and then two more bolts at the rear (I've yet to fit those).

The other little job I've done is to make a mounting tray for the remote compass (this talks to the Dynon).

It has to be mounted well away from everything else - so is going in the rear of the fuselage.

I've just put some micro on the screws to encapsulate them. After that is set I will mount in the fuse with flock on the lower edges.

The remote compass has to be exactly (within 1 degree) the same pitch and yaw as the Dynon in the panel. I will use my protractor spirit level to do this. (a left over tool from my last plane, I used to use it to adjust the pitch on the propellor).

Onto the second of the aileron control rod shrouds.

A bit of a dogs dinner here...

Just look at how different the cell is on that side to the other.

The cell is also a different shape on that side too. I've no idea why though.

A much bigger (longer) hole is needed. I noticed Pete's were not even either - one was 125mm and the other was 185mm. This means that the cell is not bonded in square with the fuselage. You can see this in the photos below.

All of this is hidden when the seat is in place so only I will know it as an eye sore!

Next week I will hopefully fit the Lower panel shroud to the cell and also fit the remote compass.

Trying the shelf and fuse box out for position

2nd shroud in place - note completely different holes...

Fuse box in place

Ditto

Nut plates and rubber mount for fixing to cell

Remote compass mounting tray - micro-ing in the screws.

2nd shroud flocked in place.

You can see the cell is cock-eyed in relation to the fuse... Twisted!

No comments:

Post a Comment