I haven't got much done since the last post. Visitor staying with me and I went to the Olympics yesterday - to watch the Cycling Road Race.
As far as the gear alignment goes I think I am there now. I used a laser level to cross check my previous work with the string and it turns out that the string gives a pretty accurate measurement.
The error was less than 0.1 of a degree - that was on the starboard side and on the port side it was a little more (I kind of knew this would be the case with the port side as I added a tad too much plywood to that one). So I've taken both the plywood blocks off again and got them to where I think they should be perfect.
The other thing that I've done is drill out the 8mm hole in the gear legs and axles so that they can be attached with the allen bolt and made rigid - there was room for play before. I still have to fit the brakes to the axles but this can be done later.
Another job that needs to be done is making sure that the gear has the right amount of dihedral.
To do this I had to build a little contraption out of wood and a steel tube. See pic below.
I've just tacked the plywood blocks back in place and will do a final-final alignment and dihedral check before they are completely bonded in place.
|Axle bolted to gear leg.|
|Laser level check|
|Dihedral setting rig|
|Bar is bent to 60mm above floor to set dihedral|