I spent a great day helping Pete last Sunday put the finishing touches to his 3rd Twister. He said he should be taking it on it's first flight by mid-February.
I took another 110 photos while I was there (like I didn't already have enough photos of Twisters...).
I'll put some of those soon in a separate post but until then it's back to my build.
The rudder cable mounting points are shown in the photo below from the outside - flock around the space between the washer and the safety cell. I waxed the forked and threaded end on the inside so I could remove it later to make painting the interior of the cell easier.
After that I bonded in the plastic bearings for the rear wing pins - easily done with a bit of flock.
Onto the front wing pins. Which they make no mention of in the manual (at least none I could find). I believe the earlier kits had the front wing pins installed in the factory.
So I just had to figure out how far out they should protrude from the wing root. The bearing they will slide into (bonded into the wing at a later date) have a depth of 25mm so that's what I went for. I noticed from photos that the bearings in the wing are pretty much flush to the edge so 25mm seems like the logical value.
To bond these in you mix up a shed-load of flock after drilling a 30mm hole and then just make sure the pin is properly keyed up for bonding before sliding it in and surrounding it with flock.
I used a technique I borrowed from the French Twister build. Get a block of wood and drill a 30mm hole in it and then clamp that to the side of the wing root to hold the pin at exactly 90 degrees while it sets.
I got around to bonding and glassing in the metal plate on the outside of the cell - it is the control run for the cowl flap. After that I did the same with the thinner plate I made up for the inside.
Onto the panel which again due to my freakishly long legs needs to be modified. I did a test getting out with the standard panel and I always hit my knees on the lower edge - so this would not do if I had to get out in a hurry. So I've cut the knee holes out a bit more to give me good clearance.
I'll also add a tube cut down the middle and placed over the sharp edge later. Hitting a sharp edge like that with your knees every time you get out of the cockpit would become a pain (in the knees!) after a while.
I've also made the lower part of the panel wider at the top to accommodate the GPS I will be fitting. A Garmin Aera 500.
The rest of my time I have spent filling in the gaps in the bonding seams on the cell interior. What a job...
3 days of sanding, vacuuming and the body filling and I'm not done yet. Most of the work is because of the safety cell lengthening mod I did - which has to be smoothed into the rest of the cell and also coated with a layer of body filler to make it ready for painting.
Next up is finishing up that panel and then making up some plywood blocks that hold the seat in place.
|Rear wing pin bearings|
|Rudder cable end attachment - outside the cell|
|Wing pin - wood block to keep pin at 90 degrees while it sets|
|Front Wing pin|
|Ali plate for cowl flap control bonded onto cell outer|
|Panel mod - cardboard with duct tape for shaping|
|Ditto with some flock to shape out the lower section|
|Cowl flap inner ali plate bonded and glassed into place.|
|Body filler on seam and cell mod|
|Rear upper of cell seam|