Onto bonding the horz stab pins themselves now.
Quite a focusing job this one.
As you will see below I put parcel tape everywhere in case any flock would run out.
After establishing where the hole would be for the pin in the Horz Stab root rib I drilled that out and made it a touch bigger - about 12mm (to allow for any movement of the horz stab to set it on the right angle).
I made a little funnel out of a mixing cup. Then mixed up some fairly runny flock (unlike the usual consistency you are aiming for - 'peanut butter'). So it would flow into the cavity in the horz stab.
After that it was just a case of pushing the horz stab home fully and rotating the fuse to as vertical as possible (so the flock wouldn't run out).
I left it like this for 5 hours until the flock had started to go off before rotating it back to the horizontal (I only did this so I could close the garage door).
Bit nervous the next day but it was all fine and the horz stab released out fine (after taking the pin wire out).
The wire goes in very easily now and feels very solid and secure - so I'm glad I went with Pete's bush mod here.
As you can see from the last photo the horz stab on the starboard side does not match very well with the fuselage root. A bit upsetting - not exactly sure how to fix this so will contact Pete about it.
On the Port side it does match up perfectly at the leading edge but then there is another problem - a big gap underneath (will post a photo next week). This will require a lot of body filler to put right - adding to the weight, not good. Also the front pin is way out with the hole drilled by the factory so will require a bit of work to put that right. Frustrating stuff.
Next job may be the elevator hexes - which will be bonded into the elevators and determine the control surface travel - so a bit critical to get right.
|Packing tape everywhere|
|Funnel for pouring runny flock into the cavity.|
|Going vertical for it to set.|
|Figuring out where to route the trim cable (and drilling holes for the indicator wire)|
|First pin done. Not too much overspill of flock.|
|Onto the second pin|
|Starboard horz stab leading edge to fuselage root gap.|