Thursday 11 April 2013

Week 86 - Fuse Box/Lower Instrument Shroud

Hours to date 874.75

This past week I've been building a shroud/box that goes behind the lower instrument panel.

This has 3 functions.

1. Protect the lower instruments from damage (by pilots feet getting in and out).

2. As an attachment point for securing the lower panel to the safety cell.

3. The space in the back section will be used for a fuse box.

Pete has a similar shroud - although he does not use it for his fuses. He mainly uses circuit breakers and any fuses are on his side panels.

As I don't have side panels and won't be using circuit breakers (read the Aero Electric Connection to see why) then I still need a place that will be easily accessible on the ground for the fuses.

I started off by making a mould out of cardboard - which I covered with duct tape as a release.

I used 4 layers of glass and there is quite a bit of overlap on the edges and corners.

The black line on the final photo shows where I will install a 'shelf'. This will be where the fuse box is mounted.

I will most likely also make a cover for the top at some point.

The notch in the bottom part is for a rubber mount that will go through the safety cell and attach to the lower of the panel also - making the whole unit secure. There will also be a couple of bolts at the back to secure the box.

I've made both Aileron shrouds now - still trying to release the second one from the mold! Nightmare...

So I guess the next job will be to install those.


Making the cardboard mould

Mould made and covered with duct tape

Laying up - and the other aileron shroud in the background

Black line indicates where shelf will go for fuse box

No comments:

Post a Comment