Tuesday 27 November 2012

Week 67 - Ducts and Cowl Flap

Hours to date: 665.0

I'm feeling a bit better about the ducts now - having worked on them for another week.

I was able to save the flanges and make them flat(ish) by using the Dremel followed by some trusty body filler and sanding with my Permagrit block sander.

Then I put another layer of carbon on both sides - to cover the body filler.

I'm still in the process of fitting the ducts to the oil cooler and this is a slow process - taking a bit off here and there until they sit nicely against it.

There is room for a layer of foam (door sealing type) all around which will make things air tight.

I also built up the cowl flap and am pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

I did this using 4 layers of carbon to make up the sides - then cut them out and shaped them with the Dremel and file.

I stuck the sides on with 5 minute Araldite first then used flock and 2 layers of glass to reinforce the join. It has turned out very strong and fits perfectly on the sides. I also flocked in the hinge. I won't flock in the other side of the hinge to the fuselage lower until the outlet duct is fitted.

The other little job I got done was to make some more holes in the rudder pedal adjustment bar.

Not so straightforward as I couldn't get a drill in there due to the top bar being overhead the bar with the holes in it.

Thanks to my brother Mal for figuring out the solution - a half round file makes the right shape then once a hole is formed in the middle size it out with a small round file. 

Turned out good - I have put 3 more inches of travel in the system.

This will still be 2 inches less than standard (at the short leg end) as I have moved my safety cell end forward by 5 inches to accomodate my extremely long legs.

Should be okay for all but the shortest of legs.

This week I will continue with fitting the ducts to the oil cooler and after that perhaps try my hand at making the flanges for the other ends of the ducts.

5 minute Araldite on the edges before flock and glass

Fits perfectly - well chuffed

Ditto

Flattened flanges with last layer of carbon

Early test fit - lots more fitting to do here

Filing out the new rudder pedal adjustment holes

3 new holes done - all works good.



What is left of the duct plugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment