Monday 5 November 2012

Week 64 - Oil Cooler part 2

Hours to date: 621.75

It seems I spoke too soon when saying that I was faster with carving the ducts. Sure the initial shape was quick enough but I have spent at least as long again refining the shape to get it perfect.

This is mainly due to the ducts having to 'fit in' with everything else - whereas the scoop was the first step in the process and so a bit more freestyle.

I think I've got the outlet duct how I want it now. The inlet duct still needs a little more work. When that is done I will cover them both in body filler and sand smooth before painting with a primer.

I cut out the exit outlet in the lower fuse - then sanded down the edge to get it as smooth to the airflow as possible. I then filled in all the exposed honeycomb with flock.

You can see from the below photos how I cut out the cowl flap from the same area. It is also sanded down to an aerodynamic shape. Still got to add the side parts to this, a hinge and then of course figure out how it all gets connected to a control lever in the cockpit.

The hose fittings for the cooler finally arrived, so I fitted those and used the Dremel to carve out a space for the inboard fitting. As you can see it doesn't come too far into the cockpit - about 10mm or so.

To make the bulge inside the cockpit to accomodate this I will duct tape the fitting then use plasticine to make a little smooth cavity over that. Finally I will flock over the whole lot and extend that over the edges to make a smooth bulge. Finishing with a layer or two of Kevlar.

The Plasticine is to allow for a little gap so I can put some heat reflecting silver material in there. The oil should run at about 80 to 90 degrees so I don't want that heat coming into the cockpit.

I've bought a big sheet of this heat reflecting silver fabric and will cover anywhere the hoses come into contact with the fuselage.

I finished off the scoop as well - putting a layer of fabric on the inside and covering the whole thing in micro and body filler then sanding until silky smooth - ready for paint now.

Once all this is finished I think I'm going to move onto the rudder pedal installation - but that is a few weeks away yet as I want to finish this oil cooler install completely before moving onto another job.

If I get the time this week I may do a post about Radiator theory and how that theory relates to what I'm doing here. I've certainly learnt alot about them while working on this project.


Tight fit with the cooler - just enough room for a flange at the top (bottom)

Cowl flap and exit hole cut

Cowl flap in closed position

Oil cooler with hose fittings and cell mod

Fitting comes through about 10mm into cockpit

Ducts on cooler for position check

Ditto


With fuselage lower in place

Ditto




No comments:

Post a Comment