Tuesday 21 August 2018

Oil thermostat failure

On the last leg of my month long trip I noticed that the oil temp was not coming down as it normally does once in the cruise.

It stayed at 100 - even though I was at 7,000 ft.

I put it down to a particularly hot day and perhaps a strong inversion over the UK which made it unusually warm at altitude, which it was.

However on my next flight, after the 50 hour service, it was a coldish day and I did not climb for long but the oil got hot again (106 - the hottest it's ever been) and refused to come down below 100 when in the cruise.

I thought this must be the thermostat (in the oil filter mounting plate) which had failed and was now stuck in the closed position. This has also happened to Pete Wells - while he was in Spain in the summer - not good!

I contacted the UK UL Power agent, Jonathan and after a discussion with him he agreed that I should replace the part and see if that was the problem.

UL Power were good enough to send me the replacement part which arrived this morning. I fitted it this afternoon and then took the Twister for a test flight.

I'm pleased to say all is now well again and the oil temps are back to their old self. Not even hitting 100 in the climb - despite a hot day again today - and then coming down to 90 in the cruise - as it should.

Lucky this did not happen to me while I was overseas as it would have grounded me while I waited for the new part to arrive.

After the old thermostat/oil filter housing was removed

New housing at left and other old fittings to be reused at right

Old thermostat. Note the spring is not seated the same as the new one - maybe this has something to do with it failing?

New thermostat spring - note the more even seating of this one.

Old housing to the left and new one to the right. The valve also appears to be slightly more open at ambient temps on the new housing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment