Friday 28 October 2016

Problem solved - and a new hat for me

As I write this I am indeed enjoying a cold beer although I'm not sure I deserve it.

Before taking out the feed line in the tank I decided to check that it was not the return line that was causing the problem as this was recommended as a test by Patrick at UL Power.

So I removed the -8 line from yesterday and reattached the old feed line but kept the return line out into a measuring jug to check the flow.

I was so surprised to see that the fuel pressure was now correct and the flow rate normal.

So it was not the feed line that was the problem but the return line.

As there is only a bulkhead fitting on the return line into the tank then surely this could not be the problem for the high pressure? 

Sure enough it was not but on checking the JiffyTite quick connector I felt it was not connected correctly - these connectors are not so great as they are a bit of a pain to fit securely and especially so when the wing is on and I am trying to reach my hand up into the tiny space where it is to connect it.

After a bit of wrestling with it - I finally managed to connect it properly - using both hands - one hand through the gear leg top opening and one hand through the central access panel which is a bit of a reach.

After that a simple check of running the fuel pump and the pressure was normal!

What is that they say about always looking for the simplest solution to a problem first?????

Anyway I have a new hat to wear now while I drink my beer.

(BTW I have connected up the wing several times and each time I must have not connected up the return line correctly so that shows that the connectors are a bit flawed in their design, allowing some flow, but restricted when not fully connected. They should only allow full flow or no flow at all - bad design!)


No comments:

Post a Comment