Monday 25 August 2014

Week 159 - Canopy part 4

Hours to date: 1401.0

Yes folks I am now past 1,400 hours.

Will I be true to my original guesstimate of completion in 1,500 hours? 

In a word, no.

I feel I may have another 600 to a 800 hours to go.

Progress has been made on the canopy but in the meantime I decided it was high time to try out the cockpit paint - so I had a go at the seat and baggage tray - as well as the inside of the frame of the canopy.

Two coats brushed on - one after the other - with the second coat being stippled on. Everything turned out well, so this bodes well for the cockpit.

I phoned Pete to ask about taking the play out of the emergency release pin. He told me exactly what I was thinking to do anyway which was good. Wax the pin then put runny flock around the hole. I used a small syringe to squirt the flock into the cavities - I can't imagine trying to do this any other way.

I've started fitting the counterweights to the ailerons too.

On the canopy I am waiting for a cobalt drill bit - 2mm - to drill the release pin for a roll pin that will lock the opening handle in place.

So while I wait for that to arrive I decided to fit the canopy to the fuselage. Actually it is the fuse that gets fitted to the canopy as that is where the material is added. In this case Micro.

We'll see how that turns out next time I post.

Seat painted

Baggage tray painted

Syringe with runny flock

Release pin with flock to take out play 
Ditto at the back

Aileron counterweights

Fitting canopy to fuse at the back

Fitting canopy to fuse at the front





No comments:

Post a Comment