Wednesday 6 August 2014

Week 157 - Canopy Part 3

Hours to date: 1378.5

Well, this canopy is taking a while isn't it.

I'm taking it quite slow as I don't want to screw up anything.

I'm quite enjoying the small, fine detail work required on this job. 

Also when it's done it will be something that's right in the pilot's 'eye' whilst sitting in the cockpit for long hours. So for me it would upsetting every time I looked at it if it was not done as well as I can do it.

Once the Opening side hinges were shaped to fit I superglued them in place.

After that 3 layers of thin glass were laid up over them, overlapping onto the frame itself.

Once set, the centre section is removed and used for the hinge part that is attached to the fuselage.

I made up some carbon blocks by supergluing some left over sheet together and sanding to shape. These are to support the hinges on the fuse.

I then filed some small trenches for them in the fuse and flocked these in place (with the canopy closed and clamped down - to set the position accurately).

After that another 3 layers of glass were applied and overlapped over the hinge part. 2 layers of Carbon was used to cover the rest of the holes made in the fuselage.

I made up some shaped blocks of foam to go on the carbon while it set - so that they took on the correct shape 'trench' like (obviously these were on top of the peel ply so they did not bond to the carbon).

Just a little more tidying up to do on the opening side and it will be done.

The frame itself is now almost done too with all the cavities finally filled.

The emergency release side is getting closer - hopefully I'll have that done by the next time I post.

Hinges shaped and fitted, just about to super glue them in place

After super gluing in place

3 layers of glass have been applied and marking show where the centre section is to be cut out.

With mechanism in place - works nicely.

Ditto at the back

Carbon 'blocks' made up to support the fuselage part of the hinges

Foam blocks taped in place to conform the carbon to shape.

Rear hinge - not too shabby

Some more finishing to be done here to make it perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment