Thursday 12 June 2014

Week 149 - Pitot tube

Hours to date: 1327.25

A fairly good couple of weeks progress has been made. The Port wing is now up to speed. 

A minor setback - the rear pin bearing (and therefore the factory drilled hole) were not in the right place. Only out by about 3mm. Matthias is sending me a new bearing so I'll get this fixed soon.

I've even started on the pitot tube.

A reasonably straight forward job this one.

Bond the end pieces into the tube (with runny flock).

Drill a 16mm hole into the leading edge - where it lines up with the outboard end of the Aileron.

Then using a long drill bit (more than 250mm) to drill through the main spar (!).

The tube has to be angled down by 2 degrees. This put me off a bit as I was so worried about getting it angled down I ended up drilling the hole in the spar a little too high. Then I had to enlarge the hole in the leading edge until the tube was at 2 degrees.

If I could do the job again I would ignore the 2 degrees bit while drilling and just drill in the middle of the spar. Then afterwards I would just enlarge the hole in the leading edge at the bottom until 2 degrees is achieved. 

Anyway - it's nothing a little flock won't fix!

Next up will be fixing the Tygon tube to the rear of the main spar. This will be done with the U shaped fiberglass brackets (same as I made up for the rudder cable guide tubes).

You can see below the new tool I bought for this job - a long handled 'grabber'. I should have bought this ages ago - it's going to come in very handy I think.

I've finished the last of the composite screws too on the fuel system (for the time being anyway - until the engine is on).

Next job will most likely be the canopy.

Rear wing pin bearing is out - by about 3mm

Pitot - inline with aileron outboard edge

Long drill to get through main spar

Pitot tube before bonding in end pieces (it's the retractable type)

2 degrees

Establishing Zero degrees

Lockwire on pitot end fittings - I had to use a 5 to 6mm adapter for the tube

Hole needs to be fixed with flock

Long 'Grabber'

Another composite screw with P-clips for the Port fuel lines

More composite screws and P-clips for the oil cooler lines

Ditto for the fuel lines on the firewall back


 

No comments:

Post a Comment