Tuesday 15 October 2013

Week 113 - Seat continued

Hours to date: 1152.25

The seat is coming along nicely - however before I get into that I will talk briefly about the battery.

I decided it was time to order one as it is yet another thing that must be done before the cockpit can be painted.

The good news is that it fits perfectly.

Finally something going right for me!

I lined the inside of the cover and base area with special sticky backed foam which takes up any gaps and makes the battery resistant to moving around and being subject to shocks.

After that I drilled out some holes for the terminals to come through.

All pretty straight forward.

Back onto the seat...

I was only able to take the seat so far with regards to correcting the tilt of the safety cell in relation to the wing spar tunnel. This was mainly due to the left middle part of the seat contacting the safety cell (see photo below).

It is pretty good now - I used a spirit level to confirm things were square. I am only about 1 or 2 degrees out so it should be okay.

I may build up the starboard side some more - we'll see how it feels. If I do that then I'll have to put some micro underneath the seat middle on the starboard side so it contacts the cell properly.

The procedure - as described in my last post - went smoothly enough, duct tape everywhere then a heap of micro on the seat edge and where it will contact the cell on the duct tape. Use a stirring stick to clear up the edges as much as possible, then squidge the seat down with some weight on it and leave it to set.

I'm leaving it for 48 hours as I want it to be set properly hard before I sit in it.

As you will see below I am also making up some foam block (and micro) fillers for the thigh supports. When I get those right I will cover the lot in duct tape and lay glass over the seat front and onto those areas. That will likely be the subject of my next post.

These supports also act as a block to stop any foreign objects from entering the area of the lower control column.

Battery - it fits!

Terminals coming out the side

Anti-shock foam lining on the cover

Seat view from the back - you can see how much out the starboard side is

Ditto from the front - nothing I can do about this really.

Duct tape everywhere

Micro on seat and duct tape area then a heavy weight (my dusty tool box) and leave it to set.

Foam block and micro to make up moulds for the thigh supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment