Tuesday 1 October 2013

Week 111 - Seat

Hours to date: 1137.25

As usual with me - I am my own worst enemy sometimes - and this is the case with the seat. Yet another modification, and in doing so it has probably trebled the time to fit.

I found the original position to be too upright - it's just a personal preference - but I prefer to be more laid back in a seat. Maybe it's my years of glider flying in this position and my previous aircraft - the Rans S-10 - also with a very laid back seat position, which influenced this decision.

In my defence I can only say that in the end I will be more comfortable - and for me this is a very big part of building your own plane. If you can't make it fit you like a glove then what's the point?

Because of cutting the seat back down I've had to extend the cell edges outwards in the seat back edge area.

Easily done with a flock 'mountain' and two layers of carbon.

In a much earlier post you would have noted that I also extended the lower front part of the seat.

It does feel comfortable now - still some fine tuning to do though until it is perfect.

And of course due to my cell being installed on an angle the seat has to be modified to compensate for this.

I've just flocked in the plywood blocks that 'lock' the seat in place at the front lower edge. There are also some further small plywood blocks that need to be flocked in around the seat back area to stop it moving from side to side - I'll do those next I think.

After all that is done - it will be a case of putting duct tape everywhere the seat contacts the cell and then putting a heap of micro on the seat edges to 'fit' the seat to the cell perfectly.

Pete has built some nice seat extensions at the front which support your thighs - I will be doing the same.

Extending the cell sides in the seat back area.

Flocking in the plywood seat blocks

Seat back cell extensions - both done.

No comments:

Post a Comment