Monday 10 September 2012

Week 56 - Rudder and elevator bellcrank

Hours to date: 518.25

Last week I cracked on with several jobs, finally got around to glassing in the plywood gear brackets - still a little tidying up to do there. 


I also put some more flock on the rudder brackets that surrounds the steel locator pins. Pete does this and I think it looks good so I copied it. It's certainly an area that needs to be strong.

The Twister factory sent me the missing ribs for the rudder and tail, plus another plastic bearing which will go in the top of the rudder cable bracket - not absolutely necessary but a good idea to eliminate any play from this area.

Finally the moment of truth on the weekend when I bonded in the carbon discs with plastic bearings that determine the position of the rudder. Hopefully I've done it right! I just used some stirring sticks to establish the correct spacing.

While I was waiting for that to set I built up the elevator bell crank. It uses a couple of heavy brass counterweights as the mass balance, pretty straightforward this one - just install the bearing and then bolt on the brass weights. Some more fun will ensue when I begin installing the elevator controls - but I probably won't do that until I've got a bit further with the inside of the tail.


More flock around steel pins

Glass reinforcing around gear plywood brackets

Extra parts from the Factory

Stirring sticks to gap correctly

Leaving it to set

Elevator bell crank



No comments:

Post a Comment