Monday 3 September 2012

Week 55 - Rudder and tail


Hours to date: 503.25

Well a milestone has been passed - my first 500 hours are done. Only another 1,000 to go!

Taking things very slowly with this tail work.

I decided to invest in a plumb bob to check the alignment properly - the elevator tube was pretty accurate - the plumb bob just confirmed it was all good.

I also built up the tailwheel as I wanted to see how it all fits.

On the rudder itself I just did a bit of flocking around the steel pins and then bonded the rib inside (one side only at the moment - access to the other side is going to be a challenge).

I also bonded in the two main ribs in the tail - again one side only at the moment.

The next scary and critical bit comes with bonding in the two plastic bearings that are fitted inside two large carbon washers. These determine once and for all the fitting of the rudder - got to be millimetre perfect when I bond these in.

The tailwheel tube will be used to align everything so I've put 3 coats of release wax on that so the flock doesn't stick to it.

Might put off this job until next weekend so I have a full day with no time pressure.

Plumb bob to check alignment

Tailwheel assembled to check everything

Flocking in the steel pins on the rudder

Rib bonded in rudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment