Wednesday 8 August 2012

Week 52 - Gear align and fuse reinforce

Hours to date: 464.25

Finally got the gear aligned to my satisfaction - as you will see from the below photos they are both exactly 0.25 degrees toe out - perfect!

While on the subject of gear I thought I would let you know that I found one of the gear leg holes made for the axle to be too big on one side of the hole. This allowed for a little play and I was not at all happy about this, even though the axle gets bolted to the gear leg, that little play was unacceptable to me.

So how to fix it?

I had a scrap piece of axle - that is trimmed off (see photo) so the the axle is flush with the edge of the gear leg. So I put 3 layers of mould release wax on this and then flocked in the hole - using this piece of axle to make a perfect fit for the hole. Some flock was pushed in around the edge - you can see from one photo below that quite a bit was needed - it is the lighter coloured material just on the edge of the hole.

When it was all cured I was a touch nervous that the axle would not come out - but it came out easily with a few gentle taps with a socket of the right size and rubber mallet.

The axle now fits perfectly - no play at all.

This week I've started on reinforcing the fuselage seams - just done the top so far.

On the weekend I hope to start on the inside of the fin - there are two carbon sandwich brackets that need bonding in there - to do this job I will need to have the garage door open - so I hope it is a nice day.

Port gear - perfect

Starboard gear - ditto

Scrap axle off cut I used for gear hole fix

Flock is lighter coloured around edge of axle


Fuselage - reinforcing the seam

No comments:

Post a Comment