Wednesday 16 November 2011

Week 13 - Fuel tanks and fitting control surfaces

Total hours to date 128.25


Didn't get anything done on the weekend as I had a cold.


Still, I did get a bit done during the weekdays.


Starting to fit the ailerons and flaps to the wings now - a tolerance of 2mm gaps is the end goal. Lots of time and checking and re-checking here.


I've superglued the aileron horns in place so will flock and reinforce those later this week.


Also the fuel tanks are prepped now and ready to go in the wing. I've been putting this off for as long as possible - a bit of a nerve wracking job when they finally go in as they will be bonded in place and once they are in that's it. No going back. So everything has to be right. Keying up the bonding surfaces is crucial so that's what I was doing last night. 


They will be bonded in with PU foam - which comes out liquid and then expands on contact with air.


Will hopefully have some photos of that process next time I post.


Fitting controls - starting to look like a proper wing now

Keying the tanks prior to bonding - right one only done in this photo

Inside of wing keyed up also

No comments:

Post a Comment