Wednesday 22 March 2017

New Camera mount, oil filter, aileron pushrod fairings and SPOT Tracker.

As you will see from the below screenshots and video links, I've built a new camera mount which now gives a forward view from the tail.

It seems to work okay but I think the prop wash is causing it to vibrate a little bit which sometimes makes the sky 'swim' with distortion as the cameras stabilising is pushed to it's limits.

This vibration is most likely coming from the plastic mount stalk itself as the carbon bit's I've made are very stiff. Nothing I can do about it really. Will see how it goes and maybe think of a better solution at a later date.

I also finally got around to fitting the aileron pushrod fairings - which are a Pete Wells mod. Fairly straight forward to fit, just use double sided tape (the good stuff - 3M). As I'm paranoid they could come off I also used Duct tape as a back up to secure them in place.

I've also invested in a SPOT Tracker and found a good place to mount it in the cockpit. The unit must have a good view of the sky to keep GPS coverage. It also needs to be removable so a simple velcro strap with foam underneath has done the trick. I will use it on any long trips and obviously it will be very handy on the Oshkosh trip - a very good way to track exactly where you are. It updates it's position every 5 minutes. There is also an SOS function on it which alerts the appropriate authorities so it provides a good backup to a PLB/ELT.

Nice of SPOT to colour coordinate their unit with G-FUUN too. :)

Regarding the oil filter - I have sent it to Patrick at UL Power for a closer analysis as Patrick admitted that it had more metal in it than normal. I will keep you posted as to what he says.

Now for some video with the new camera mount. 

A 4 point roll: https://youtu.be/n9Ajw2bLiOA

And some sustained inverted: https://youtu.be/teuas8DxdAI

4 point roll - still from video link above

Inverted - still from video link above
SPOT Tracker mounted on top of headrest

Colour co-ordinated Tracking device.

Aileron pushrod fairing

Double sided tape on the flanges and duct tape as a back up.

Front view. I have not noticed any performance benefit.

Rear tail camera mount made from Carbon. I laid up the curved portion directly on the tail then bonded on and reinforced the flat plate section later. Thin foam on the inside is to stop the paint getting scratched. The mount itself is 3M stuck in place and then riveted as a backup.

Mount in place on the tail.

Closer look. I think the vibration is coming from the flex in the plastic stalk part of the mount.

Looking forwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment