Sunday 11 December 2016

First flight(s)

Today was the first flight(s) of G-FUUN.

I'm happy to report all went very well.

Chris did 2 flights then I did one. Each flight was about 20 mins.

Chris said that it flies hands off - no trim adjustment needed. I concur.

All the T's and P's are green in flight.

I think it will be okay to close the cowl flap in the cruise as the oil was 80 C with it open. We left it open today but maybe I will try it out on the next flight and see how it goes.

Cruises at 125 knots at 2,800 rpm. Pete Wells' Twisters only get between 110-115 knots at this rpm.

On the first flight Pete arrived in the circuit by coincidence so he formatted on Chris. See pic below.

First impressions are it feels very solid and stable in the air. Not like a light aircraft at all. The rudder is very sensitive in flight though - Chris says it is normal. Something I'll have to get used to. Excellent forward visibility in the cruise and quieter and less vibration than the Pipistrel Virus SW I've been flying lately.

I'm still smiling...

My thanks must go to Matthias and Thomas Strieker for creating such a wonderful machine - it really flies like a dream.

Also thank you to Peter Wells for all his support, patience, knowledge sharing and generosity over these last 5+ years.

And thank you to my family for supporting and encouraging me and listening to me when I had a tale of woe about yet another set back to tell.

A better video is coming soon but in the meantime here is the first take off:

https://youtu.be/KvtZSJjkGL8
1st take off

Chris on the first flight with Pete in formation

Grinning like an idiot after my first flight

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Been following this build for a long time now, great to see it flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Andy. A fantastic machine and an amazing achievement. Cheers Krishna

    ReplyDelete