Tuesday 16 February 2016

Week 236 - Cowling Part 10

Hours to date: 2230.25

Minus 1 degrees in the garage this morning... brrrrrr - I have two heaters which take the chill off, lucky we had some sun today which helped too.

Cracking on with the lower mold half.

Just got some cross bracing of plywood to do and it will be done.

I'm quite pleased with the way it's turned out (so far) I think I made a better job than of the top mold.

As you can see I put some bolts through the parting plate areas - these are to hold the alignment exact when I come to lay up a part inside later.

Soon this stinky messy Polyester resin and chopped strand mat work will end! And not a moment too soon, some days I look like I've been tarred and feathered.

I did a little test at the back part of the mold and it seems like it will release okay from the plug - fingers crossed it does so. 

Next post will be the big reveal - how the inside of the mold looks - stay tuned!

All waxed up and ready for PVA release - the yellow stuff is filleting wax to stop any mold being built behind the exhaust as if it was it would not be able to be released from the plug.

10 coats of PVA release again. I'm getting better at this!

Gelcoat and 3 layers done. 3 more to do.

All done. Note the bolts in the parting planes for alignment later on.

After trimming and removal of the filleting wax.

You can see the thickness of the mold here.

Plywood stiffeners bonded on - just the cross braces to go and we are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment