Thursday 26 March 2015

Week 189 - Engine, firewall

Hours to date: 1721.75

The upholstery and welding jobs are all briefed in. It will be about 3 weeks before I get the upholstery back - not sure how long with the welding but I think about 2 weeks.

In the meantime I can get on with installing engine accessories on the firewall.

I made up a mount for the oil ball valve out of 8 layers of carbon. Normally composites don't want to go round 90 degree corners but I managed to make this job work by taping one side down on the block of wood I was using as a mold and then pulling the carbon tight on the other side and putting a weight on it. It turned out good. Very strong and light. I could have just used a piece of Ali angle for this mount but where's the fun in that?

I cocked up the drilling in the firewall for the mount on the first attempt as I didn't take into account the carbon 'struts' which are bonded to the back, so ended up finding one of the holes inside of one of these struts. Something to bear in mind from now on!

Everything else went on fairly easily.

As you'll see below I've sealed the battery + cable with a special kit - available from Aircraft Spruce. It's easy to use and provides a gas tight seal on the firewall. I've yet to add the gasket 'goo'. I'll do that after the cable has been cut and bolted to the starter.

All that's left to install now is the oil cooler lines and oil air separator (when it gets back from the welders). The oil pressure sensor will just be held by a P-clip.

Figuring out P-clip supports for the main wiring harness.

Oil ball valve installed

Ditto - with homemade carbon mount.

Coils.

Regulator rectifier

Battery + cable with firewall sealing kit

Ditto - gasket goo to be added and then hose clamps can be tightened.

Not bad for an afternoons work.

No comments:

Post a Comment