Saturday 27 December 2014

Week 176 - Electrics Part 2

Hours to date: 1584.0

I've almost finished all the wiring work that I can do indoors - one more day should see it completed.

'Zip ties for Africa' on the back of the panel has tided things up a lot and made everything less likely to move around. 

The mess of wires has been cleared up a bit by the use of a nylon braid sleeve on the harnesses which protects them.

I made up the essential bus and bolted that in place in the lower panel/fuse box area. As it turns out I only needed one power source for the fuel pumps as only one can ever be run at any one time and my ON - OFF - ON single switch solution to this needs only the one power input to work.

I carried on with the fuse box section and fitted the starter switch relay and USB dual socket.

After that I made up the D-sub connectors for the UMA fuel gauges and then wired up the switches as much as I could. It turns out to be a blessing that I bought the twin pole single throw type switches as the access at the top to screw on the terminals is very limited by the gauges and starter switch above and with the two pole switches you get to choose which side to use.

There is only the audio alert rheostat left to finish off. This controls the volume of the audio alert from the Dynon D180 to the Radio/headset. The rheostat is not included with the Dynon which seems a pretty bad idea to me - this function should be controllable within the unit itself really. 

The audio alert is a pretty nifty function that allows you to set a limit for various engine outputs and if they are exceeded then you are given a beep through your headset - which makes for a lighter pilot workload and lowers the amount of engine gauge scanning you need to do.

Hopefully by tomorrow I will be finished these last few pieces of wiring and be able to head out to the garage and continue with the battery cable and other wiring installations out there.

I probably won't post again for a few weeks as I am off on holiday to Dubai and Oman for 10 days soon.

Have a great New Year everyone!

Slightly tidier back of panel with zip ties and nylon braid.

Ditto

Essential bus - no need for 2 fuel pump power sources as I figured out later...

Fuse box getting sorted.

Essential bus in place and USB dual socket also shown.

Back of lower panel with switches wired up (mostly).

Fuel gauge D-Subs wired up.

No comments:

Post a Comment