Wednesday 21 May 2014

Week 146 - Fuel System cont. 4

Hours to date: 1294.75

Good news is that one wing is pretty much done regarding the fuel system.

Bad news is that I totally screwed up the fuel sender probe job - so it looks like I'll have to order a new one of those. The tube did not bend very easily at all and I ended up cracking the pipe open :(

I bonded in the fuel vent line - a fairly easy job - although you are working blind as it's inside the tank. I put a machine screw in the tube end (after wrapping it in duct tape and covering it with release wax) to stop any flock going in there. The manual warns against this so I was a bit paranoid about that happening.

The thread sealant and metal braided hose arrived so I was able to complete the fuel flow transducer installation for both lines.

I also put thread sealant on the fuel pressure sender - which is screwed into the end of the banjo bolt on the fine fuel filter. 

I've also figured out that I can put a wing on by myself. This is a great help as I was able to do the return line bulkhead fitting into the tank and also make up the hose for the feed line.

Finally the composite screws have arrived too so I've installed the fine filter mount at long last. 

I made up some composite screws to the correct length for the flared tube mounts too. I just bought some machine screws and cut them to the right length then screwed them into these special composite screw mounts that have a threaded flange at the base. I used Loctite retaining fluid to secure them in place. Bonding those on the spar tunnel will be the next job I think.

It may be a boring couple of weeks after that as I will most likely do all the jobs that I've done on the starboard wing to the port wing.

Flop tube easily clears vent line.

Coat hanger wire mock up of fuel probe bends

Vent line end with screw in end to stop flock going in

New toy! Right angle attachment for the mighty Dremel

Thread sealant - this stuff is the business

Bit of a mess of hoses here until I get them sorted with composite screw mounts

Both fuel flow senders in place with hoses

New route for the oil cooler hoses - to the left

This is as far as I could get the wing on by myself

Getting me wing on!

Fuel feed line complete now with braided hose to tank

Return line bulkhead fitting now bonded in

Composite screws made up for the spar tunnel (hose guide flared tube mounts)

Bonding in the fine filter mount composite screws

Ditto

No comments:

Post a Comment