Sunday 8 September 2013

Week 108 - Control stops and Upholstery

Hours to date: 1097.5

I've made up the carbon plate that goes over the parking brake and am pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

I used 6 layers of carbon and duct tape as a release.

It is screwed into place with 4 self tappers.

Solid as a rock now.

As promised I've included a picture of the rudder control stops in their finished state. I made a small 'mountain' of micro in between both the stops to transfer some of the load. Hopefully this will be strong enough.

The next control stop job was the elevator - which I have to say is one of the easiest jobs so far on the Twister.

The up elevator limit is already set by the elevator hexes when you bond them in. This uses the lower carbon rib in the fin area as a stop for the Brass weight and is set at 80mm.

For the down limit the upper carbon rib is used but has to have a small plywood block bonded on to set the limit in exactly the right place. 60mm.

Piece of cake.

As you will see below I have had some samples made up for the upholstery on the seat (and side pocket).

I'm going for a dark grey leather (to match the rest of the cockpit interior) set off with orange stitching.

The centre of the seat will have an orange stripe - most likely in Dynamica (a cheaper version of Alcantara).

Should be a good look.

I need to crack on and get the seat fitted and painted then I can send that off for upholstering.


Rudder control stops

Elevator control stop 'down' position

Set to 60mm 
Leather sample for seat

Ditto

Carbon cover plate over the parking brake

No comments:

Post a Comment