Tuesday 6 August 2013

Week 103 - Tailwheel mudguards and engine mount

Hours to date: 1058.25

As you will see below the Twister finally got to sit on it's tailwheel for the first time.

I've been clamping the shroud from the sides every now and then and leaving it overnight - it seems to be a much better shape now - fits the rudder much closer. I think I will put some carbon down the inside and clamp the lot together to make it take on the absolute correct shape.

I made up some mudguards - a curved one for the front. Made out of a glass sandwich (Nomex). Fits nicely and I glassed that in.

Inside the rudder I used a rib sent by the factory - but it was straight - so it did not make it all the way to the end of the rudder. I've made a curved section and glassed that in too. 

While I had the tail outside and had the space at the firewall I decided to trial fit the engine mount.

Well as you can see three of the holes fit okay but the fourth one is a little out. By about 6mm. I haven't asked Pete how to fix this yet but I am guessing it will be along the lines of - Flock in the hole then drill out a new one. I'll share his advice when I get it.

I managed to get the starboard elevator hex out without destroying it.

It will need a little bit of carbon on it but is otherwise intact. Fixing this back in the right place will have to wait until I can get access to a work area that allows me to leave both tailplanes on for 24 hours (so the flock can set).

I've also taken the decision to re-do both securing pins and front bearings for both tailplanes. I made a screw up with alignment and I am just not happy with them. The Port one is only out by the tiniest amount but I will still redo both sides as they must be perfect.

My mistake was to get too fixated on the pin itself - that job required a bit of thought. In doing so I failed to realise that the alignment was not perfect at the time and blindly went ahead and bonded in the front bearings. Not good.

I think the right way to do it is to align the elevator in the neutral position at the outboard end with a clamp. Then move the tailplane up or down until the root end of the elevator trailing edge lines up with the root end of the fuselage trailing edge.

So just when I thought I was getting done with the tail - there's more work to do! My fault entirely and I have learned a lesson because of it.

I've still got to add some tailwheel 'stops' that will limit the rudder travel to the factory specs. 190mm + or - 15mm either side. Measured at 400mm from pivot point. These will just be carbon blocks bonded on the front mudguard.

Sitting on it's tailwheel for the first time.

Shroud starting to fit better to the rudder

Engine mount trial fit

One hole is out...

Tailwheel front mudguard

Getting the hex out of the starboard elevator

Rudder mudguard - straight section then curved section added.

Front mudguard glassed in

Ditto

Hex removed

3 comments:

  1. Hi So your build journey is quite great and lot of details present. Pretty good. But i'm quite unsure how the tailwheel is really fit. Is any manual available for this ? That can be helpfull, even as the main compagny had closed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the factory website is down. Not sure why but when it is back up you should be able to find a section of the build manual for the tailwheel under downloads called: 10_Integrated Tailwheel Rev 1_5.pdf

      Delete