Tuesday 16 July 2013

Week 100 - Elevators and Tail lower shroud

Hours to date: 1027.0

After getting the hexes set (with 5 min resin) I went ahead and bonded them in with flock surrounding them and then finished off with the carbon ribs I had made up to replace the factory ones.

After all of this when I put them back on - I found that one of them had moved slightly.

Bummer!

So it looks like I will have to redo the starboard side. I may be able to save the fiberglass part of the hex and reuse that - we'll see. Otherwise I feel confident enough to remake one from scratch.

This is a pretty good example of why you need a decent size workshop. I had to change the procedure and used 5 min resin rather than flocking them in as per the manual.

I'm guessing the 5 min resin was not set completely hard before removing (even though I allowed more than an hour for it to set).

You have been warned...

I've started fitting the lower fin shroud too.

I'll flock this on - using clamps to hold it in place. Then put several layers of glass on the inside to join it to the fuse.

I did notice that it doesn't really take the shape of the rudder like Matthias's one does.

I will have to mod it to do so, as at the moment it sticks out quite a way.

Though before I bond the shroud in I will have to install the carbon plates that set the tailwheel in place. So that's the next job.

Factory carbon ribs for elevator - don't fit too good.

So I made my own


All bonded in

Prepping the tail for the lower shroud - you can see how far out the starboard elevator is here...

Shroud

Bit of a big gap at the front of the tailwheel - may fix that I think

From the right-hand side

Looking from the back you can see the shroud sticks out too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment