Tuesday 14 May 2013

Week 91 - Flaps, Battery box, Baggage tray

Hours to date: 928.25

The flaps are now done. I've even drilled the drain holes in the root end tips.


Much later on I will mount them on the wings and then finally fit them to the flap actuators.

Onto the battery.

I've settled on a Varley Red Top 25 - which is a gas recombinant type - same as the Odyssey series from the USA.

The Varley is used in RAF aircraft so it must be top quality.

The UL Power manual states a minimum of an 18 amp hour battery and the Varley 25 is rated at 20 amp hour so it fits the bill nicely.

It's also more compact than an Odyssey, which is just as well because as you can see below I want it to remain under the baggage shelf.

Pete has his mounted vertically and it protrudes out into the baggage area.

I've made a wooden mock up of the battery to the exact same size. I'll use this as a mould to make a mounting tray later on.

I got up early on Sunday and spent 4 hours working on the electrics too.

I figured out what all the fuses should be and I've also got a nice little system with the Avionics having a separate bus so they can be switched separately to the rest of the kit.

I modified the GPS power cable so that it will connect directly into my Avionics bus rather than use a cigarette lighter socket.

And finally I modified the Infinity stick grip to move the radio push-to-talk to the top left button. It was in the trigger position which was much too easy to push by mistake. I'll cover the trigger hole later.

Carbon washers in and top rib flocked and glassed in.

Counterweights attached to arms

All done - including micro in the end gap and drain holes drilled.

Baggage shelf - rough fitting.

Battery mockup in wood - showing where it will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment