Tuesday 12 March 2013

Week 82 - Panel part 2

Hours to date: 836.0

Finally got the top section of the panel done.

It is now ready for paint. Although I will wait until the bottom section is done before painting.

I spent many many hours working on the GPS mount - which as stated in my previous post is 'off piste'. I've hidden almost all of that ugly plastic behind the panel - with gaps only for the release mechanism and the power button.

I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I've also made the fixings on the side that hold it in place invisible. I can't see me taking the mount out anytime soon. It would be a little bit of hassle to remove but still do-able.

The hole for the flap switch is also done. I've decided to mount it 90 degrees clockwise to the normal position as I think this is a much more logical position for it. It therefore now operates from horizontal (flaps up) to straight down (flaps down), mimicking the physical position of the flaps themselves.

Onto the bottom panel.

I spent ages cutting out the holes for the Transponder and Radio.

They are quite fiddly - and even though I started with a template it took many hours of filing to get them just right.

Unlike the ASI, ALT and Compass holes which are relatively easy - as you just use a 57mm hole saw for those.

I hope to have the bottom panel done this week and then paint it on the weekend. Then it will be a case of fitting all the instruments.

After that I think I may switch back to getting the interior of the cockpit finished - aileron pushrod holes (and covers) need to be made and the seat needs fitting.

Once everything airframe wise is done I can switch back to wiring everything up.

GPS mount in place

Bottom panel section (transponder in Radio hole just to see how it fits)

Compass trial fitting

No comments:

Post a Comment