Sunday 10 February 2013

Week 78 - Panel, Aerials and static tube install

Hours to date: 801.5

Lately I've been mainly reading installation manuals - for the Dynon D180 - all 157 pages of it! For the UL power engine it's 50 - the UL one is very clear and with lots of diagrams and photos - the Dynon one is not so good but should be okay.

I've still got to read the Trig Radio and Transponder ones - about 60 pages each.

I'm now ready to take the plunge and order the Dynon EFIS and Trig radio and transponder. After that I'll be about £6,000 poorer!

So the focus for me at the moment is to get the panel installed. So that's what I've been working on.

As you can see below there are 3 mounting points. Although I am thinking about doing what Pete does and cutting the panel into two sections. The lower one stays put and the top section can be taken out pretty easily for maintenance or troubleshooting.

If I do this then I'll have to make up a little box for the lower section so that I can mount that to the bottom of the safety cell.

The two sections will then get joined by a flange and anchor nuts.

You can see my final panel layout below - the only thing that will change is I may put the ECU switch behind a cage (same as the Master and 2 ignitions) as if that is flipped off then the engine stops!

The other switch will be a general one for Avionics.

The other work I've been doing lately is installing the rudder cable tubes, plus the aerials for the transponder and radio.

They are pretty nifty aerials especially designed for composite aircraft - so that they do not need a ground plane. Pete uses them and says they work very well.

They are from a US company called Advanced Aircraft Electronics. The aerials themselves can be ordered from Aircraft Spruce.

The transponder is the smaller one towards the rear, the radio is the large one wrapping itself around the inside of the fuselage.

These are just stuck on with flock.

As you can see I've also installed the static fittings and tube to the static ports. Still got to run that all the way up to the cockpit, but I will wait until I have made up some larger straps to cover the rudder tubes, transponder aerial cable and static line all in one go.


Final panel layout (before it changes again!)

Aerials and static lines plus rudder cable tubes all in place.

Side mount for the panel

2 side mounts for panel in place

No comments:

Post a Comment