Monday 22 October 2012

Week 62 - Air scoop and flange

Hours to date: 589.75

Making good progress with the Air scoop and having lots of fun doing it. I think this is the most rewarding part of the kit so far for me (although strictly speaking is NOT part of the kit).

After cutting out the panel I stuck the foam core of the scoop to that panel - using runny micro.

Next up I had to stick stirring sticks using body filler to the underside of the hole so that the panel would sit at the right depth - to allow for 3 layers of glass and some filler. So it had to be at a lower level that the surface of the rest of the fuse panel.

After that I used some more stirring sticks and body filler to hold the panel in place - as it has to be upside down when making the flange.

Flipping the whole thing over I put duct tape on the scoop panel - duct tape does not adhere to the resin so is an excellent mould release.

I also didn't like the gap being left open - and possibly having resin drip in there  and bond everything together - that would have been a disaster. So I filled the gap with some plasticine. This also does not bond to resin.

Next step was cutting out 4 layers of fabric - for which I used a paper template so each piece was accurately cut and the same size.

I decided to strengthen the edges of the flange hole with a layer of carbon - just to put back some stiffness that has been lost in this area. It's the same thing you have to do if you have a retractable version and cut the main gear holes in this area.

As I had read that riveting fiberglass is not a great idea I chose to add little buttons of carbon - two layers on each side of the flange in the areas where the nut plates would go.

The next day I was a little nervous that everything would release properly but it was absolutely fine. I got a stirring stick - sharpened at one end and slide that underneath the flange and gently eased it up. After doing this all round I flipped the whole thing over again and just pulled the scoop off with very little force - result!

Next came the clean up and cutting the flange down to about 15mm width all round except for the carbon areas for the nut plates.

A final test fit to see how the scoop sat on the flange and then it was time to put 3 layers of glass on the outside of the scoop.

Just as well I had Zen music playing - a bit a of a stress to get the fabric to happily sit around all those tight curves. I did it in 2 pieces - one big piece that pretty much covered the whole thing - then a smaller piece that was just the front lower part of the intake.

Next up will be putting body filler on the scoop to get it ready for painting (which I will leave up to whoever paints the rest of the plane). Then drilling the screw holes and installing the nut plates.


Hole cut for panel
Sticks to set panel height

Sticks to hold panel in place for flange

Plasticine to fill gap

Panel taped with Duct tape and gap filled

Cutting fabric with template

Carbon reinforcing

All done - released easily.

Flange cut down and showing postion of nut plates

Test fit - looking good

Getting 3 layers of glass on the scoop - not easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment