Monday 12 December 2011

Week 17 - More wing work

Hours to date 183.25


Cracking on with the Port wing now.


I had my inspector (Rex) round this week and he seemed pleased with my work so far.


To secure the bearings in the aileron bell cranks you need to use a centre punch which pushes out a little metal over the edge of the bearings. The distance from the edge is 1mm. I used a fine point punch first by hand to make a small dent in the right place. Then I switched to the medium size punch.


The next pic shows me just playing around with how the crank works - it will of course be on the inside of the wing when in place. I was just doing this to determine which crank goes in which wing.


Other work done this week: Fuel drain has been glassed over, flap counterweight arms are bonded in place and I have prepared the leading edge of the port wing for reinforcing - removed the peel ply, sanded down and flocked in any voids.


Finally there is a carbon washer that needs to be bonded onto the rear wing pin. The pin was put in place at the factory with their foam glue - which looks like it will be easy to remove but it is very strong and even the Dremel had a job to remove it. Got there in the end.


Just got to reinforce the root rib with glass, ditto the leading edge, then I will be close to finishing the Port wing. A few other little bits to do then I will switch back to the Starboard wing.


Centre punch around bearing to secure it.

Trying out the bell crank for function

Fuel drain glassed over

Flap counterweights bonded in

Leading edge prepped for reinforcing tape

Foam needs to be removed for CF washer on rear wing pin

Washer bonded in with Cotton Flock

Other hole cut out for the bell crank now too

No comments:

Post a Comment