Thursday 27 October 2011

Week 10 - Flap and aileron re-inforcement of seams

Total hours to date: 108.5

Both flaps need the seams re-inforcing with 25mm tape and the ailerons too so that was done this week.

I am also preparing the flap connectors as they will be needed for setting the inboard hinge pins (2 each side) in the right place.

The instructions say to press the bearings into the connector with a Box-Column Drilling Machine. As I don't have one of those lying about the workshop I will use an old but simple technique a good engineer taught me. Put the bearing in the freezer to chill them so they contract. Then pour boiling water over the connector so it expands and then they should go in pretty easy. I also will use the vice and a socket that is the exact diameter of the outside of the bearings to help them in. Photos of that next time.

Flaps and aileron - reinforcement of the seams

Flap connector

No comments:

Post a Comment