Tuesday 17 March 2015

Week 188 - Engine, firewall prep and upholstery prep

Hours to date: 1705.5


My neighbour and fellow plane mad friend Kelvin has very kindly lent me his engine stand, so I was able to get the engine on the airframe for the first time.


The engine stand is a little over spec for my needs - it will take 2 tons! The UL without any accessories is only about 60kg.

I took my time making sure the straps lifting the engine were in the correct place - ie: under the barrels only and not on any fins. 


After that was on I spent the rest of the next day figuring out where everything will go on the firewall and ordering fittings for mounting these items.


I've figured out what angle and length the exhaust pipe will be. I used my prop angle spirit level protractor for this task. Transferring the level to the end of the muffler with an angle line for the welder to follow. I'm now ready to get our local precision engineering firm to get going on all the welding.


While doing this I noticed that the exhaust header on cylinder number 4 was touching the pushrod tube. Not good. The others all have about 5mm clearance but I couldn't even get a feeler gauge in the space on number 4 as it was touching. So this will have to be fixed by the UL Power factory - most likely with a replacement exhaust part methinks.


I spent last night cutting out the memory foam for the upholstery. I'll be getting all this up to the firm doing the work early next week. Auto Trim in Leicester have a bit of experience with aviation seats already so I think I'll be in safe hands here. http://www.auto-trim.co.uk/aviation.html


So the engine will come off again this weekend and I'll hopefully start drilling holes in the firewall for all the accessories.


Thigh covers in place.

Trying the chute out for size - all fits good.

Chute pushes me forward a bit which is a good thing for head clearance to the canopy

Kelvin's engine stand. Mighty 2 ton beast!

Easy does it...

Engine on for the first time.

Front view

Side view

Exhaust header on number 4 too close to pushrod tube

Figuring out what angle the exhaust should go at.

Oil-air separator position and one of the oil cooler lines trial fit.

Memory foam cut for the seat.

Memory foam cut for the headrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment