Wednesday 11 March 2015

Week 187 - ECU, painting, Oil Cooler and Parachute

Hours to date: 1691.75

The parachute arrived last night. A lovely bit of kit it is too - lets hope I never have to use it.

I've made some stand offs out of ali tube for the Regulator/Rectifier cooling flange. These hold the flange about 10mm above the RR and allow the cooling air to pass over the fins and out the sides. 

The ECU is now installed with it's cover. I've done a bit of work to the cockpit loom as you'll see below. Better to do this on the bench than in the plane. The ground lead is a bit fragile so I cut it down and have used a butt splicer and normal 14 gauge wire to extend this as it was a bit short anyway.

The ECU must be kept cool and free of vibration and moisture. Although most people put the ECU on the rear of the firewall I don't think this is the best place as there must be quite a bit of heat soak through the firewall and some vibration. You will see below that I've mounted the ECU with some rubber washers underneath to lift it clear of the safety cell. This will allow air to flow around it more and also help stop vibrations reaching it.

I've painted the headrest and thigh covers so the seat is all ready to go to the upholsterers now. I just have to figure out a way to attach the leather cover to the seat and put a brief together for them so they know what to do.

The oil cooler ducts are now fixed on with Loctite on the screws and they seal very well with the foam insulation I put on. Only a little bit of high temp RTV was needed on one side.

The engine mount is all ready to be welded now with it's 5mm gap. I've got to sort out the muffler as I have ordered a blank version as I want to have the exhaust exit directly rearwards (with the relative airflow) and this will need to be welded on too. I want to wait until I have everything to be welded and get it all done in one go.

Now I've got the ECU in I can get cracking on all the other wiring and the top panel can go in now.


Rectifier Regulator cooling flange with ali stand offs.

Cockpit ECU wiring loom with ground lead strengthened up

Cockpit ECU loom (fuel pump relay is the black box at the bottom)

ECU and it's cover in place. Engine loom will be added after the engine is on it's mount.

Headrest painted

Thigh covers painted

Parachute. Spekon RE-5L - made in Germany.
Oil cooler ducts are on for good now.

No comments:

Post a Comment