Monday 4 November 2013

Week 116 - Baggage tray continued

Hours to date: 1182.5

Not a great deal of progress this week, but the baggage tray is almost done.

I put a layer of carbon over the edges where the micro was (top and bottom) - this will make it much less likely to get damaged in service, the micro is a little brittle on it's own.

Then I added 4 carbon brackets for fixing to the cell.

After these are set I will round off the corners and drill through them and the cell - before putting some fixings on the outside - the same spike-type nutplates that I used on the cell end cover.

The manual calls for a Velcro fixing of the baggage tray only. Firstly I don't know how you would do that as the tray sits horizontally on an angled cell edge - so how would that work? Secondly I don't think velcro would be enough - I prefer to have it properly secure. The thought of it coming loose during aeros and then fouling the controls below bothers me. So that's why I'm going for the carbon fixing brackets. I've also flocked a couple of small plywood blocks under the port side to support it, should the brackets ever break. On the starboard side the battery cover already acts as a 'stop'.

The seat required a little more work as you will see below the right hand side does not actually make contact with the cell floor - so I've added a heap of micro under there. I've also added some more micro to the front edges as they got damaged when I was taking the seat out the first time.

I was a little too impatient taking the seat out - with releasing a layup it is always best to use slow steady pressure. Lesson learned.

Once both the baggage tray and seat are finalised I will move onto the canopy - unfortunately Pete is taking a very long time to organise the canopy parts that I need. I'll chase him again this week.

A good fitting baggage tray - with carbon now covering the micro extended edges

Seat not touching cell on right hand side - I've put micro under there to fill the gap.

4 carbon brackets to secure the tray to the cell.


No comments:

Post a Comment